Wednesday, January 28, 2009

repsonse to anna marieke

hi! it wouldn't let me post my comment without a live journal account, so i'm just going to do it here.

I also thought the article was very very long! I feel like it was a lot to take in at once, which may have hindered my comprehension a bit. I was glad though, that Rowe and Schelling provided a region-specific analysis, instead of an essentialist perspective that presents all facets of Latin American culture as one.

Overall I found the article very informative and comprehensive. I really like how you described Latin American culture as a medley of the traditional indigenous and new European influences. Our class discussion yesterday really clarified this for me- how popular culture and aesthetic forms represent the underlying power and class struggles within the region.

No comments:

Post a Comment