Wednesday, January 28, 2009

response to javier's blog

I don’t know very much about Latin American popular culture either, and I agree that this article provided a lot of information. I still feel like there is so much more I’d need to know to really understand it though. I also wrote about popular Catholicism in my blog- I thought it was really cool how as hard has the Europeans tried to completely eradicate indigenous religions, the people embedded their former religious customs into catholic practice. The shift toward urbanization had interesting effects on popular culture- such as traditional Mexican handcrafts transformed into purely decorative symbols and sculptures. I like how you commented on soccer, and how although Britain introduced the sport to Latin America, it became a huge symbol for national identity, especially amongst Brazilians.

No comments:

Post a Comment